Sunday 2 June 2013

Time For Action

So, last ROW80 check in I said I was going to be better at writing.

See my big mistake there?

Like lots of wishful thinking, I had a goal I wanted to achieve but hadn't set out any specific plan to make it happen. 

Work is getting even more crazy so I come home totally brain dead and dragging my (becoming smaller!) ass to the gym uses up the last of my will power. For a while I had managed to get some writing in at lunchtime, but now even by then I'm out of it, and the thought of it makes me want to curl up and cry.

So how exactly was I planning on getting more writing done?

I was just hoping it would happen. Like how I hoped for two years that I would be able to run a half marathon.

Surprisingly, didn't get anywhere.

However, having downloaded a half marathon training app about a month ago, I'm now over halfway towards my goal (went for a 1.5hour jog this afternoon, which covered 13.2km!). Four training sessions a week, slowly increasing in distance, and all I have to do is show up and do them.


Therefore, I'm going to set myself a time goal. I'm going to sit down for at least 20 minutes every morning before going to work, and try to write. I'm not going to say how much I'll get done, I just want to train myself (again) to give the first part of my day to writing.

Yes having a full time job and trying to write is hard, but if anyone is going to do it, I want to make sure it is me! 

And if I can't write during work, and I can't write after work, that really only leaves me one other option, because not writing is not an option!

Every morning. 20 minutes. Because I'm not going to be working a day job for the rest of my life. 


7 comments:

  1. I know how hard it is to have a full time job, exercise, AND write. It's REALLY hard. I stopped setting word count goals a long time ago and started setting time goals like you're talking about doing. Starting with 20 minutes is an excellent plan. Then, maybe, you'll find a way to up that time later. If not, then you still have the 20 minutes. It adds up. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Lauralynn. And it's nice to know that other people are actually doing it!
      This morning got my 20 minutes in, though did spend 5 minutes fighting the alarm first.

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth you have set a good goal. I find the most important thing is to realize some progress. As they say success breeds success. I think you will get it going really soon and i look forward to your progress. I plan to check back to see how you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not easy to feel like you need to do it all, but as you have proven to yourself, wishing doesn't make it happen...planning and determination however do get things done and make the process realistic.

    A twenty minute goal is decent amount actually. Good starting point. I use five sentences, but it's the same idea. (Time goals never seemed to work for me, as I would end up staggering from word to word. Different (pen) strokes...)

    So here's to a new week with more words written and more successes to celebrate. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've found time-based goals are great! Though I have a minimum word-count goal as back-up just in case I end up spending the whole time staring at a blank page. Hope the 20 minutes a day works out well for you and that you can start building it up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome attitude, and an achievable goal. Too often we set goals that are unattainable and then beat ourselves up because we couldn't do it. Baby steps. Once you get into a routine, it will be a piece of cake. Yeah, trying to write and work a job is tough, but sounds like you have the right motivation to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the support! Though, felt even more guilty today when I missed my morning session and then read everyone's comments! But as the day progress I realised why I hadn't been able to get up this morning. First of the winter's colds brewing. All snuffly and feeling sorry for myself. But, on the bright side, taking tomorrow off so I might get a bit of writing done :D

    ReplyDelete